Pet Surgery FAQs from Our Collierville Vet
Pets need surgery for a variety of different reasons. A pet owner may wish to have their pet spayed or neutered for the prevention of an unwanted litter and to give their pet an overall medical advantage. A pet may require surgery after being in an accident, or it may be the preferred treatment option for an older pet that suffers from hip dysplasia. Whatever the reason your pet needs surgery, you can count on your Collierville vet to make sure your pet gets the care they need. Here are some questions pet owners often ask regarding the periods before, during, and after surgery.
Questions to Ask Your Vet Before Your Pet's Surgery
For any scheduled surgery your pet needs to go through in the Collierville, Germantown, or Piperton area, you will likely want to know what your pet will be going through before, during and after the surgery. Some questions to ask might include
- What kind of experience and credentials does the veterinarian performing the surgery possess?
- Are there special risks associated with this surgery that I should be aware of?
- What type of anesthesia will be used on my pet, and what other medications will he/she be given or have available during surgery?
- What type of monitoring do you do to watch my pet's vital statistics during the operation?
- How long will my pet need to stay at the pet hospital after surgery?
- What kind of daytime and nighttime care will be provided during the recovery period before he/she can go home?
Collierville Animal Clinic is located just outside of Germantown, but far enough away to have a little less hustle and bustle, meaning we can answer many of the questions you might have. Our veterinary office is also close to Piperton, giving pet parents in this area a great option to put their pet's in great hands during the difficult time surgery brings.
Questions to Ask After Surgery
- When can my pet go home?
- What kind of monitoring is done by your veterinary staff after the surgery?
- Can my pet take anything if he is in pain or uncomfortable after surgery, and what signs should I look for?
- Will my pet need to wear a "cone" while he/she recovers? Are there any alternatives?
- Do I need to watch for signs of reinjury or infection? What should I watch for?
- Is there anything else I can do to help my pet recover?
Since Collierville Animal Clinic also is a boarding and grooming facility, we are accustomed to making sure pets are cared for properly overnight, with access to their Collierville vet if needed. It is even possible to schedule an extra day of recovery at our boarding facility if you feel your pet needs it.
Call Collierville Animal Clinic Today!
Whether you are looking for a place to get your pet his or her regular checkups, if your pet needs surgery, or you just want a safe place to board your pet while you are away, Collierville Animal Clinic near Germantown and Piperton is a full-service veterinary office that is dedicated to taking good care of your pet. To get answers to your questions, or to schedule an appointment, contact us at 901-881-8289